The Downtown Post Office at Five Points in Franklin is a beautiful and sophisticated 20th century building. The Review-Appeal of April 16, 1925 stated that the nearly completed post office cost $45,000 and was built by Algeron Blair Company of Montgomery Alabama. Postmaster C.M. Mount and his postal employees were expected to occupy the building by May 10. On November 19, 1925, the newspaper reported that Postmaster Mount had contracted with the Truett Floral Company on the Nashville Pike for $450 worth of shrubbery, trees and flowers. The following list of nursery stock contracted from Truett can also be seen in the 1926 era post card:
2 pyramidal arbor vitea, 20 bridal wreath, 10 Golden Bell, 6 White Keria, 12 Japanese Barberries, 20 Adams needles, 10 Crepe Myrtle (white and red), 12 Japanese Bush Clover, 300 Japanese Spurges, 14 Weigela “Ava Rathise,” 2 Dwarf pines, 16 Lombardy poplars, 2 Norway maples, 2 Chinese viburnum, 2 Sarin Juniper, Privet Hedge around the front and along the back.
The earliest image of the Franklin post office was taken in 1888 when it was located on the north corner of the Public Square. By 1896 it was located in the center of the north side of the Square, next to the old City Hall building. This location was convenient but became crowd by the 1920s.
We are fortunate that Franklin photographer Stephen Roalbin (1875-1945), a Czech immigrant, was hired by postal authorities to record the construction of the Five Points Post Office. Roalbin has provided us with images before, during, and after construction. The 1925 building was enlarged in 1965, which doubled the size. Unfortunately, the beautiful three Palladium-arched entrance was sacrificed at this time to allow for a handicap-accessible ramp and aluminum windows and doors replacements.
With the rapid growth in population in the 1970s & 80s, the Downtown Post Office could not handle the volume of mail. In 1990, a new post office was built off Royal Oaks Blvd, leaving the Downtown Post Office with a postal contractor. In June 1991, the Five Points Post Office made the National Trust’s 11 Most Endangered sites. In November 1992, Williamson County purchased the 1.6 acres site with the 14,600 square foot facility for $225,000 from the U.S. Postal Service. In September 2007, Williamson County traded the two old jails on Bridge Street, a lot next to Fort Granger on Eddy Lane, and the Five Points Post Office building for the City Springs property near Bending Chestnut.